State-certified death records are official legal documents obtained through the Massachusetts State Registry of Vital Statistics in Boston.
The State Registrar embosses the official raised Massachusetts state seal on every death certificate, signs it, includes the original date of issue and current copy date, prints it on secure, heavyweight, watermarked paper, and adds a scanned, digital bar-code for tracking.
Certified death records are valid for proof of death for life insurance claims, probate court estate filings, social security death benefit payments, pension and retirement benefits, and many other legal and official purposes.
The fee for obtaining and shipping a Massachusetts-certified death certificate within the United States for delivery in 10 - 14 business days is $45.
- An expedited shipping option for delivery within 5 - 7 business days is available within the United States for an additional $30. Quantity discounts also apply for duplicate records ordered at the same time.
- International shipping service and the provision of Massachusetts State Apostille with Authenticated Seals are also available.
- Our standard document fees include first-class international postage only, with no guarantee of delivery time. Upgrading to DHL Global Express or FedEx shipping is an option and highly recommended for our international customers.
- If you want your record sent by an international express service, place your order by choosing the expedited option below. Once you receive your email confirmation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request for international express delivery or apostille service.
- We will respond within one business day or less and let you know the additional fee(s). You can then make payment online via a secure link.
- Apostille fees vary based on the country needing the Apostille and the overall number of documents requiring an Apostille, but average about $25. We only charge what DHL or FedEx charges us for the additional postage fees for their service.
- The average DHL or FedEx service fee to Western Europe, the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand, and the Orient is $75 - $125; for Canada and Mexico are $55 - $85.
PLEASE NOTE! After almost three years of the pandemic closures, a massive office flooding event, and long-awaited technological enhancements and improvements, the Registry of Vital Records research room is now open to the public.
We can now offer genealogical research services and obtain birth, marriage, and death records transcriptions.
We have also added a NEW ORDER FORM developed strictly for ordering transcribed Massachusetts death records.
Still not sure if you need a certified or transcribed record? Here is an example of a Massachusetts transcribed death record.
FULL NAME OF DECEASED
DECEDENT'S DATE AND PLACE OF DEATH
Select "Not Known" if the specific month is unknown.
Select "Not Known" if the specific day is unknown.
- If the specific year is unknown, enter the year you feel is most accurate.
- In the "Notes Section" further down on this form, enter up to five years, i.e., 1961 - 1965, to have searched.
- Records before 1931 are not available through this application. For that period, see Massachusetts Vital Records 1841 - 1930.
NEXT, SELECT DELIVERY BY EITHER FIRST CLASS or EXPEDITED MAIL.
Then, choose the number of records you want under that shipping method using the drop-down arrow.
YOUR NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS
CREDIT CARD INFORMATION